Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Making a Lasting Impact

Up until very recently I don't think I fully understood the transient nature of poverty. Between the first day of school and today (almost 6 months) I have lost 4 students unexpectedly. The office pages the classroom, asks for the students to "gather their things," and come to the office. This is code for "say goodbye."

Unfortunately, I did not get any notice at all when ITeachFor left my class. He was at school on Friday and his Aunt had withdrawn the family by the following Monday. I called, but never heard anything back.

Many teachers came up to me that day, or the day after, to express their excitement (probably assuming I was feeling the same) and surprise. Even though ITeachFor's behavior escalated immensely towards the end of the second quarter (it got really bad), I still couldn't help thinking of his Aunt's tearful conversation with me the night before the first day of school when she said "please, don't give up on him." And I didn't.

One of things Teach For America discusses with all of its incoming corps members is the idea of our own "locus of control." With my students, I understand that their moves from one apartment to another and subsequently, one school to another, is outside of my control. Yet, I can't help thinking... what is my lasting impact on the students who have already left my classroom?

I sincerely hope that my impact on ITeachFor and my other students has been, and will be, a lasting one. The work continues...


0 comments:

Post a Comment