Thursday, December 15, 2011

A Year of Optimism

A year ago today I was sitting in a coffee shop in Sevilla, Spain, finishing up my TFA application. I had no idea what I was going to do when I graduated (all else fails - I could always move back to Spain, right?!) and although studying abroad my senior year was incredible, at that moment I felt very distant from the reality that awaited for me at home.

In the last 12 months, I have not missed a single beat. I still pinch myself sometimes thinking "How did I get here?!" Although this year has been one of tremendous change and challenges I have found myself becoming more positive and optimistic.

Everyday there are a million things that can and WILL go wrong in my classroom. When things do go wrong, I take a minute to reflect and then get over it (if you haven't yet adopted this strategy, I highly recommend it). Each day (for one reason or another) I come back refreshed, recharged and ready to try again. THAT has been the key to my success this year.

TFA sets and holds high expectation for their corps members. I know that my classroom isn't perfect but I'm EXCITED to see how it will grow and change over the final few months of the school year. I am optimistic, hopeful and eager to see my vision unfold for my students. To see trackers on the wall with visual representations of each student's individual mastery, to watch students improve their reading comprehension and fluency, and for my lowest students to catch up to their peers and be prepared for the third grade.

This year has been TURBULENT to say the least, yet I find myself happier than ever. I am blessed with 32 brilliant students, supportive colleagues, a God sent roommate, a tight knit group of new friends, warm weather (Febuary-October) and a family that feels close by even though they're miles and miles away.

One day, all children in this nation will have the opportunity to attain an excellent education.

0 comments:

Post a Comment