Thursday, October 6, 2011

Sub Troubles

After feeling sick for a few days, I decided to take the day off on Wednesday to rest and recover. I requested a substitute, typed up some thorough sub plans and was quickly relieved to see that someone had taken the job... this should have been my first indication that something was about to go awry "Who in their right mind would watch 32 second graders?!"

I had to go to sleep away my guilt. I was feeling too sick to think much about it.

I slept the whole next day waking up to check my phone... she hadn't called yet, I thought, so things must be fine.

WRRROOOONNNNGGGGG!!!

At 7:44pm I received a call from a friend and coworker ("F&C").

F&C: "How are you feeling?"
Me: "Still not great but feeling a little better now tha-"
F&C: "Just so you know... your kids were TERRIBLE today with the sub. All day they were running down the hallways and I could hear them screaming and yelling from my room. She said they were totally out of control and that 'Iteachfor' stole candy off your desk. I tried to help but..."
Me: "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"
F&C: "I mean the sub was pretty weird but tomorrow you're really going to need to lay down the law with your kids."

I was panic-stricken. My kids had taken advantage of a elderly woman while I was at home, sick.

After a lengthy conversation with Kristen I had come up with a game plan: SCARE THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS OUT OF THEM. Tomorrow, I would lay down the hammer. Put the fear of GOD into these children. I practiced my speech in my head:

"Today there will be no recess. For ANYONE. What happened yesterday is unacceptable and we will be spending the whole day today talking about RESPECT. In fact, the theme for the rest of the week is respect... the theme for the rest of the YEAR is RESPECT."

Needless to say I stormed out onto the playground at 7:55am to pick up my class... they started screaming my name and running towards me (#stampede)... it was good to be back.

0 comments:

Post a Comment